The house of the deer (Casa Cerbului)
In 2005 our investigation
has focused on a rectangular block of houses, previously discovered
(P167 and P 156) and named „Casa Cerbului”, after a deer
head of a-monumental statue that was hang at one of the inner walls.
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
The head, made of clay (35 x 36 cm) was decorated with incised meanders
and inlayed with red and yellow color; the animal horns, protruding
from the clay head, have been heavily burned during the firing of
the house, and therefore not preserved. It was fixed in the central
area of the dwelling, on a wall at 1.5 - 1.7 m from the groundall,
near a wide beam framed by two poles. The imprints on the back of
the piece and the fragments of the wall on which it was set demonstrate
that the statue had been added immediately after the building of
the house. Certain modifications seem to have been done after the
head was fixed, during one of the repairing stages of the house.
The triangular monumental head have two rhombic incisions painted
with yellow symbolising the eyes. A meander is incised on the face,
encrusted with a white yellowish substance. In-between the bands,
red painting were applied in the "crusted" technique. Such a decoration
technique had been used for the columns guarding the opening in
front of the double altar from Sanctuary no. 2; for the base of
the socle at the double statue from Sanctuary no. 2; on the bust
- idols from P8 and P 1 6; on several other architectural elements.
|Fig. 4a) Parţa,
plan of the Casa Cerbului area
||Fig. 4b) Detail,
squares 168 north, 170, 172,
investigated in 2005
At the moment of the discovery, we believed that this block of houses
continued to the squares 168D, E and in the area of the earlier
excavation of M. Moga from 1943/1945. Until 2005 the excavations
had not penetrated the ruins' level, except for the northem wall
area. In 2005 we have excavated the entire area up to – 1.65 m and
– 1.75 m, in the area of the postholes pits. Besides pits from the
ditches, we have found bigger pits in the corners; some of them
have been doubled in the interior (situation encountered in the
case of the houses with two levels). Then we have closed the 2005
If the investigation of the area is not finished, unfortunately
it was disturbed by the action of treasure hunters, who discarded
earth and nylon that protected the area; with this occasion adobes
from the wall, or from the floor, or from the floor of the upper
level, have been extremely disturbed, as in the case of room A.
Some of the exterior pits belong to rooms C and D.
In this complex we have investigated more than two rooms (both in
the south part of the block).
The first one, A (close to the river) with two levels, has fireplaces
both on the ground floor and on the second floor, with objects and
pots. The second one, B (to the West) was destroyed in the upper
part by the excavations for clay extraction. The other two rooms,
C and D have not been investigated yet, because the thickness of
the sediments and of the ruins needs a longer time for excavation
and much more investment. The previous research stopped at the level
6 of the constructions of the mentioned complexes, at - 1.60 m.
5. The deer head, Casa Cerbului, room B (P 156, P 167)